Dr. Etienne Caron
Etienne was born in Canada. He did a Ph.D. in Systems Immunology at the University of Montreal where he worked on the analysis of the cellular immunopeptidome. In 2013, he received a Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship to carry out research in the group of Ruedi Aebersold in Switzerland. In 2015, he initiated the Human Immuno-Peptidome Project (HIPP) as part of the Human Proteome Project.
His scientific program focuses on how cutting edge technologies in mass spectrometry-based proteomics can be applied in the field of immunology – T cell biology, antigen presentation, cancer immunotherapy and systems vaccinology in particular. More specifically, he is currently developing new DIA/SWATH mass spectrometry-based techniques to decipher 1) the composition of the immunopeptidome in Mycobacterium tuberculosis-infected macrophages, and 2) the dynamics of signal transduction networks in primary T cells. He is also actively involved in the community through TBVAC2020, HIPP, and more recently the SysteMHC Atlas project.
Etienne's research is supported by Marie Curie Fellowship.
- Caron E*, Roncagalli R*, Takeshi H, Wolski WE, Meena C, Menoita MG, Durand S, Garcia-Blesa A, Fierro-Monti I, Sajic T, Heusel M, Weiss T, Malissen M, Schlapbach R, Collins B, Ghosh S, Kitano H, Aebersold R, Malissen B, Gstaiger M. Precise temporal profiling of protein signaling complexes in primary cells using SWATH mass spectrometry. Cell Rep. 2017, 18:1-8. *Co-first author.
- Ciuffa R, Caron E, Leitner A, Uliana F, Gstaiger M, Aebersold R. Contribution of mass spectrometry-based proteomics to the understanding of TNF-α Signaling. J. Proteome Res. 2016, doi: 10.1021/acs.jproteome.6b00728
- Faridi P, Aebersold R, Caron E. A first dataset toward a standardized community-driven global mapping of the human immunopeptidome. Data Brief. 2016, 7:201-205.
- Caron E, Kowalewski DJ, Chiek Koh C, Sturm T, Schuster H, Aebersold R. Analysis of major histocompatibility complex (MHC) immunopeptidomes using mass spectrometry. Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2015, 14:3105-3117.
- Esterhuysea MM*, Weiner J 3rd*, Caron E, Loxton AG, Iannaccone M, Wagman C, Saikali P, Stanley K, Wolski WE, Mollenkopf HJ, Schick M, Aebersold R, Linhart H, Walzl G, Kaufmann SHE. Epigenetics and proteomics join transcriptomics in the quest for tuberculosis biomarkers. mBio. 2015, vol. 6 no. 5 e01187-15
- Caron E, Espona L, Kowalewski DJ, Schuster H, Ternette N, Alpízar A, Schittenhelm RB, Ramarathinam SH, Lindestam Arlehamn CS, Chiek Koh C, Gillet LC, Rabsteyn A, Navarro P, Kim S, Lam H, Sturm T, Marcilla M, Sette A, Campbell DS, Deutsch EW, Moritz RL, Purcell AW, Rammensee HG, Stevanovic S, Aebersold R. An open-source computational and data resource to analyze digital maps of immunopeptidomes. eLife. 2015, 4:e07661.
- Gubin MM, Zhang X, Schuster H, Caron E, Noguchi T, Ward JP, Ivanova Y, Hundal J, Arthur CD, Krebber WJ, Mulder GE, Vesely MD, Lam SSK, Korman AJ, Allison JP, Freeman GJ, Sharpe AH, Pearce EL, Aebersold R, Rammensee HG, Melief CJM, Mardis ER, Gillanders WE, Artyomov MN, Schreiber RD. Checkpoint blockade cancer immunotherapy targets tumour-specific mutant antigens. Nature. 2014.
- Rosenberger G, Koh CC, Guo T, Röst HL, Kouvonen P, Collins BC, Heusel M, Liu Y, Caron E, Vychalkovskiy A, Faini M, Schubert OT, Faridi P, Ebhardt AH, Matondo M, Lam H, Bader SL, Campbell DS, Deutsch EW, Moritz RL, Tate S, Aebersold R. A repository of assays to quantify 10,000 human proteins by SWATH-MS. Nature Scientific Data. 2014, 1:140031.
- Caron E*, Vincent K*, Fortier MH*, Laverdure JP, Bramoullé A, Hardy MP, Voisin G, Roux PP, Lemieux S, Thibault P, Perreault C. The MHC class I immunopeptidome conveys to the cell surface an integrative view of cellular regulation. Mol. Syst. Biol. 2011, 7:753. *Co-first author.
- Caron E, Ghosh S, Matsuoka Y, Ashton-Beaucage D, Therrien M, Lemieux S, Perreault C, Roux PP, Kitano H. A comprehensive map of the mTOR signaling network. Mol. Syst. Biol. 2010, 6:453.
- de Verteuil D, Muratore-Schroeder TL, Granados DP, Fortier MH, Hardy MP, Bramoullé A, Caron E, Vincent K, Mader S, Lemieux S, Thibault P, Perreault C. Immunoproteasomes regulate expression of immune genes and have a broad impact on peptides presented by MHC class I molecules. Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2010, 9:2034-2047.
- Granados DP, Tanguay PL, Hardy MP, Caron E, de Verteuil D, Meloche S, Perreault C. ER stress affects processing of MHC class I-associated peptides. BMC Immunology, 2009, 10:10.
- Fortier MH*, Caron E*, Hardy MP, Voisin G, Lemieux S, Perreault C, Thibault P. The MHC class I peptide repertoire is molded by the transcriptome. J. Exp. Med. 2008, 205:595-610. *Co-first author
- Baron C, Meunier MC, Caron E, Cote C, Cameron MJ, Kelvin DJ, LeBlanc R, Rineau V, Perreault C. Asynchronous differentiation of CD8 T cells that recognize dominant and cryptic antigens. J. Immunol. 2006, 177:8466-8475.
- Caron E, Cote C, Parisien M, Major F, Perreault C. Identification of two distinct intracellular localization signals in STT3-B. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 2006, 445:108-114.
- Caron E*, Charbonneau R*, Huppe G, Brochu S, Perreault C. The structure and location of SIMP/STT3B account for its prominent imprint on the MHC I immunopeptidome. Int. Immunol. 2005, 17:1583-1596.
- Caron E, Rioux N, Nicolas O, Lebel-Talbot H, Hamelin BA. Quantification of the expression and inducibility of 12 rat cytochrome P450 isoforms by quantitative RT-PCR. J. Biochem. Mol. Toxicol. 2005, 19:368-78.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
12/2013 Nominated by the European Commission for the 64th Lindau Nobel Laureate meeting
09/2013 Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship
06/2011 EMBO Long-term Postdoctoral Fellowship
10/2010 Named Star Researcher, Recognition Award Gala of the 1st edition of the "Rendez-vous du savoir", Montreal Convention Center
05/2010 Cole Fellowship Research Exhibition competition, 1st Place Award
07/2009 Cole Foundation Scholarship Doctoral Award
05/2009 Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship Award
02/2009 Meetings, Planning & Dissemination Grant, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2nd Place Award
11/2008 IRIC Research Exhibition competition, University of Montreal, 1st Place Award
09/2008 J.A. DeSève Scholarship Award, University of Montreal
10/2007 BioContact, “Next Generation” Student Award, CIHR, 2nd Place Award
05/2006 Canada Graduate Scholarship Doctoral Award, CIHR
05/2006 Fond de la recherche en santé du Québec (FRSQ) Award, 1st Place Award
05/2004 Merit Scholarship, FRSQ, 1st Place Award
05/2001 Industrial Undergraduate Student Research Award, Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
01/2000 Industrial Undergraduate Student Research Award, NSERC